This vegan carrot cake recipe is different than many carrot cake recipes out there because we’ve swapped out traditional egg mix with a chia seed egg mix!
Plus you’ll notice the list of ingredients includes coconut oil and coconut sugar. You can also use date sugar or Lakanto as a sweetener. All options are better than sugar!
Ready to start? Let’s go!
Ingredients ( Vegan, Gluten-Free )
1 cup all-purpose flour or spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup coconut sugar or Lakanto
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp canola oil or coconut oil
2 Tbsp chia seeds
6 Tbsp water
1 1/2 cups grated peeled carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sugar and oil.
- Make chia eggs by mixing together chia seeds and water. Wait five minutes until a thick paste is formed. Add to the sugar and oil mixture.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and raisins.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch cake pan and bake at 325 for 40-50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.